I wanted to see if a Sausage Egg Bake would make a good menu item for travel. Two of the common questions I have seen repeatedly are: “What can I make for breakfast?” and “What can I take on a road trip?”. I thought an egg bake would be an answer for both of these questions, that it could be assembled, frozen and then cooked overnight in a HOTLOGIC®. So I did an experiment.
I assemble a double portion of the Sausage Egg Bake. Instead of placing it in a dish to bake, I poured it into a silicon mold. I used the one pictured. The silicon has heft to it, and the rim is steel reinforced.
This mold froze the food into a shape that fit in a 4-cup or 6-cup container for cooking. The egg bake came out the same as if it had been cooked immediately after assembly.
Taking It on the Road
So now the question is how this would work to bring on a road trip. Once the uncooked egg bake is frozen, place it in a freezer bag or vacuum sealed in a bag. You can carry the frozen egg bake in a cooler bag. If you are using a cooler without ice, you may only be able to have it to bake the first night. If you are supplementing your cooler with a combination of dry ice and water frozen in a block, then you should be able to keep food frozen for 2-3 days and still be cold at safe temperatures for a day or two more. This would allow you to have an egg bake for several breakfasts.
For baking, remove the frozen egg bake from the bag and place in a container. I like to use the collapsible silicone container I found on Amazon for cooking in my HOTLOGIC® while traveling. My mold makes a block that fits in this container. You will need to select a mold that produces a block that will fit in your preferred container. If you have enough space, you may choose to use disposable, aluminum or plastic food prep containers for both freezing and cooking.
This method will work well if you need your breakfast ready as soon as you wake up in the morning. If you can get up in the morning and wait two hours before eating, you can still use an uncooked egg bake or you can re-heat a precooked egg bake that has been portioned and frozen.
The egg casserole recipe will also work with this method of food prep.
Sausage Egg Bake
- 3 lg eggs
- 1 T milk
- 1/4 c sweet onion, diced
- 1/4 c carrots, peeled & diced
- 1 c frozen broccoli, chopped
- 1/2 c mozzarella, shredded
- 1 ea sausage, diced
- In small bowl crack eggs and add milk. Whisk with fork. Set aside.
- In medium bowl combine vegetables, cheese and sausage. Stir.
- Add egg mixture to vegetable mixture and stir until coated.
- If doing meal prep, pour into selected mold and freeze. Once frozen, placed in sealed bag to store in freezer.
- When ready to bake, remove from bag and place in a 6-cup, heat-safe dish.
- Place the dish in the HOTLOGIC®. Plugin the HOTLOGIC® and zip shut. Cook overnight. It will actually be done in 2-3 hours, but still be moist 12 hours after being placed in the HOTLOGIC® to cook.
Hot Logic Sausage Egg Bake