When experimenting to find breakfast dishes that can be cooked overnight, I tried an egg casserole. The recipe turned out well on the first try. It is flavorful and moist the next morning.
Basically, three eggs will coat 3 1/2 cups of vegetables, cheese and/or meat, so the variations for this recipe are endless. For the vegetables possible choices are onions, leeks, bell peppers, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, kale and spinach. I have even used green beans when I was cleaning out the refrigerator. Reconstituted freeze-dried broccoli can be used. For potatoes, diced, canned potatoes will work. I haven’t tried frozen shredded potatoes or reconstituted dried, shredded potatoes to determine how well they cook.
There is an endless choice in cheeses. Goat cheese crumbles or feta cheese would add an interesting flavor. Then there are the typically used cheese of mozzarella, cheddar and colby-jack cheese. You probably have other favorite cheeses that would work well.
For meat, bacon and ham are a staple. Then there are the many types and flavors of sausages. The spicy sausages add a nice punch of flavor to the casserole.
If you reduce the egg casserole recipe starting with using only 2 eggs, then you will be able to fit the mixture in a 3-cup container. Two 3-cup containers will fit a HOTLOGIC® Mini. In the other container you can make Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal for a hearty breakfast.
- 3 lg eggs
- 1 T milk
- 1/2 t thyme
- 1/4 c sweet onion, diced
- 1 c carrots, peeled & sliced
- 1 c frozen broccoli, chopped
- 1/2 c sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 c cooked bacon, chopped
- In small bowl crack eggs, add milk and thyme. Whisk with fork. Set aside.
- In medium bowl combine vegetables, cheese and bacon. Stir.
- Add egg mixture to vegetable mixture and stir until coated.
- Lightly grease a 6-cup, heat-safe dish. Pour in the casserole mixture.
- Place covered dish in the HOTLOGIC®. Plugin the HOTLOGIC® and zip shut. Cook overnight. It may actually be done in 2-3 hours. It will still be moist 12 hours after being placed in the HOTLOGIC® to cook.
Hot Logic Egg Casserole
Leave a Reply