When my No. 1 Taste Tester’s Mimi had family and friends over for a gathering, her neighbor brought butterscotch haystacks. No one had seen them before, but they all enjoyed them. Everyone was surprised when they learned how simple they are to make.
My No. 1 Taste Tester remembers making butterscotch haystacks many times after that. She even thinks she submitted them as an entry for a baking contest. She comes from a small town that has a yearly festival event with a parade, contests and the like. When I was trying to think of desserts that can be made with a HOTLOGIC®, she remembered this recipe.
I like this recipe because I consider it to be a kid-friendly recipe. The HOTLOGIC® gives kids a safe way to melt the butterscotch chips. They just need to be taught that the bowl may be hot and use hot pads to remove the bowl from the HOTLOGIC®.
Other kid-friendly recipes:
If you read the Chocolate Haystacks recipe, you saw that some of the choolate chips need to be reserved and added to the melted chocolate later. This will temper the chocolate so that it hardens at room temperature. The butterscotch chips do not need this. In fact, even with peanut butter added to the melted butterscotch chips, it still hardens at room temperature. This recipe is simple to make with no special steps required.
- 1 c butterscotch chips
- 1 t peanut butter
- 1 c shoestring potatoes
- 1 c cocktail peanuts
- Put butterscotch chips in heat-safe dish.
- Place dish in the HOTLOGIC®. Plug in the HOTLOGIC® and zip shut. Heat for 1 hour.
- Remove from HOTLOGIC®. Add peanut butter. Stir until smooth.
- In medium bowl add potatoes sticks and peanuts. Pour in melted chips and stir until evenly coated.
- Put wax paper on a cookie sheet. Spoon mixture on to wax paper making 1½" piles.
- Set aside to harden, 4-6 hours.
Hot Logic Butterscotch Haystacks
Leave a Reply