The HOTLOGIC® will cook cube steak to be so tender you can use a butter knife to cut it. The recipe below includes a delicious gravy. Because it is smothered in gravy, it doesn’t matter that the Maillard Reaction (Browning) did not occur.
When I made this recipe, I used a full onion and layered the meat, onions and gravy. The onions on top were not completely limp when done. But when I reheated one of the portions with those onions, they became completely limp. I did not see if using a chef torch on the meat before cooking makes a difference in taste or texture.
- 2 T water
- 1 T arrowroot (do NOT substitute with flour)
- 1 pkt Beefy Onion soup mix
- 1/2 c broth (chicken, beef or vegetable)
- 1 t garlic powder
- 1 lg onion
- 1 lb cube steak (2 pieces)
- salt & pepper to taste
- In small bowl or 2-cup measuring cup pour in arrowroot. Add water a bit at a time. Mix thoroughly between additions.
- Once arrowroot is thoroughly incorporated with the water, add garlic powder, soup mix and broth. Stir well. Set aside.
- Peel and slice the onions. Set aside.
- In a 6-cup heat-safe dish, place one cube steak. Salt and pepper to taste. Place 1/2 the onion slices on top of the cube steak. Pour 1/2 the broth mixture over the cube steak and onion. Place the other piece of steak on top. Salt and pepper to taste. Pile on the remaining onions. Pour over the remaining broth mixture.
- Place covered dish in the HOTLOGIC®. Plug in the HOTLOGIC® and zip shut. Cook for 3-5 hours.
Hot Logic Cube Steak